I'm taking some time off right now to do a Master's degree through Harvard Extension, and I'm also taking multiple classes through Coursera, EdX, Kennedy School ExecEd, UC Irvine, etc. Everything from educational policy & leadership to quantitative research & data analysis to non-profit management & financial accounting. This blog is a place for me to collect my learnings from this adventure I'm on! Most of the time, I'll just be cutting and pasting from various assignments or papers to be able to easily reference them later, but sometimes I'll do specific blog posts knitting my thoughts together from the different coursework. :-)

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Intro for Educational Policy

My intro post on the forums for Harvard Extension - History, Politics, and Policy in US Education...

Hi there, I'm Teresa Gonczy, and I'm an entrepreneur and educator. I'm in Los Angeles right now, although I spent today putting a bunch of stuff in storage in order to start driving cross country in a few weeks to be based out of Chicago for the next year. Most recently, I owned an infant and family educational center here in LA. Previously, I helped to start a charter elementary school as well as a family-friendly makerspace. I also mentor teen entrepreneurs as part of the Thiel Fellowship, and help to organize the BIL Conference, a participant-powered unconference similar to TED. I sold my educational center a few months ago, and am taking some time right now to do a masters degree through Harvard Extension. I'm taking this course because I'm interested in how I can expand my influence in the educational world – to see what reforms have worked or not worked in what areas, and to connect with others who might be working in the field. Looking forward to talking more with you all over the course! :-)

1. What is the biggest problem facing the United States’ public school system? At this stage in the course, what do you think needs improvement / change?
I would say that the biggest problem for the public school system is educational equity. But remembering that equity is not the same thing as equality. Different students have different needs, whether they're special needs or gifted, low income or high income, predisposed to enjoy math or to enjoy literature, or just smack dab in the middle of everything. We need all students to be achieving at their own highest level of potential.
In order to move toward educational equity, a lot needs to improve and change. To help all students, we need to be able to differentiate instruction – which means that we need high quality teachers who are capable of coaching and leading students at different levels and with different interests – and we need those teachers in all classrooms, including low-income schools. To have high quality teachers, we need better preparation and development, ed schools and principals who really focus on instructional quality. Which also means that we need highly capable leadership, at the school level, at the district level, at the university level. The people are most important – although there are other initiatives that can also help with differentiating and delivering high quality learning to all students, such as technology, smaller class size or other rearranging of the typical classroom, socioemotional learning, building community, etc.


2. What are the most important goals of our school system, and why? (Economic growth, informed citizens, economic mobility, economic equality, etc.)
The most important goal of our school system is to help create the next generation that can push us forward as a society – technologically, socially, etc. We need people who are life-long learners because the world is changing so fast. People who can problem solve and think critically. Who can take and give feedback. Who are work well by themselves and with others. People who will be engaged with their work, their family, and their community. In order to move society forward, we need to help everyone to build their skills to function effectively, as well as cultivate the gifted who can make the ground-breaking leaps. If everyone is working at their highest level, economic growth and mobility will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment