I'm taking some time off right now to do a Master's degree through Harvard Extension, and I'm also taking multiple classes through Coursera, EdX, Kennedy School ExecEd, UC Irvine, etc. Everything from educational policy & leadership to quantitative research & data analysis to non-profit management & financial accounting. This blog is a place for me to collect my learnings from this adventure I'm on! Most of the time, I'll just be cutting and pasting from various assignments or papers to be able to easily reference them later, but sometimes I'll do specific blog posts knitting my thoughts together from the different coursework. :-)

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Response to Other Student

Responding to another student's intro post...

Hi there ****,
I'd love to talk more about what you're working on, as I also used to own an educational center, am helping with a nonprofit, and am in the Math for Teaching program!  :-)  Feel free to email me at teresaeg@gmail to connect, if you want.

In response to your answers to the questions...
I definitely agree that teaching is not valued enough in US society.  Just paying them more would not immediately fix the problem, but I do think that's one step along the way, as it would hopefully start to attract a wider (and better?) pool of candidates.  As you mentioned, the lack of rigor and selectivity is a hugh issue.  Have you seen this?  http://www.joshuakennon.com/sat-scores-ranked-by-intended-college-major-show-teachers-are-below-average/  On average, teachers (or rather college students who intend to become teachers) don't even score at the mean for the SAT.  Yes, there are a lot of people who become teachers but had other majors besides education - but there's still a point to be made. 
If you haven't already, I'd recommend reading about Finland's teacher training - first of all, there's competition to get in. 
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2013/05/15/what-if-finlands-great-teachers-taught-in-u-s-schools-not-what-you-think/
http://www.ncee.org/programs-affiliates/center-on-international-education-benchmarking/top-performing-countries/finland-overview/finland-teacher-and-principal-quality/

On your second answer, I also agree with you that autodidacticism is critical.  There is so much information around us now - if students are able to learn on their own and seek out what they need, then they can learn so much faster.  Do you have any ideas on how to teach/foster independent learning?  Consistently offering opportunities and allowing students to pursue the topics that they're interested in seems to show some results - also starting early, as in start in preschool!  But often by high school, if they've been through so many years of teacher-directed learning, I find it hard to get all of the students to take a more self-directed approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment