I'm taking some time off right now to do a Master's degree through Harvard Extension, and I'm also taking multiple classes through Coursera, EdX, Kennedy School ExecEd, UC Irvine, etc. Everything from educational policy & leadership to quantitative research & data analysis to non-profit management & financial accounting. This blog is a place for me to collect my learnings from this adventure I'm on! Most of the time, I'll just be cutting and pasting from various assignments or papers to be able to easily reference them later, but sometimes I'll do specific blog posts knitting my thoughts together from the different coursework. :-)

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Intro for NonProfit Financial Stewardship

Hi there, my name is Teresa Gonczy.  I'm an entrepreneur and educator who is starting a new nonprofit focused on early math learning.  I am also on the board of directors for a STEM education nonprofit with programs on the east and west coasts.  Previously I was on the founding board of directors for a charter elementary school in San Diego and for a family-friendly makerspace in Los Angeles.  I have a basic knowledge of general financial management from running my own businesses, but am less familiar with the specific rules and regulations around nonprofit financial management.

I am taking this course because as a previous board member, I've seen nonprofits struggle with finances, and I want my new nonprofit to start off on the right foot.  I also want to be able to advise the current nonprofit board that I'm on, as well as any future boards that I sit on.  I do have a fundamental understanding of bookkeeping and financial statements, so my personal learning agenda is mostly around making sure I know the specific fiduciary requirements for nonprofits.  I'll also be interested in working with constrained resources, since most non-profits are in that situation!

As I am starting a new nonprofit, the key challenges right now are getting funding, getting the books and initial forms set up correctly, and forecasting future costs to create a breakeven analysis.

I'm looking forward to 'meeting' everyone else in the course!

-Teresa :-)

**********************************************
Teresa Gonczy
Entrepreneur, Educator, Cognitive Scientist, Dancer

teresaeg@gmail.com
www.teresaeg.com
www.linkedin.com/in/teresagonczy/

No comments:

Post a Comment